Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pattern Weights - A DIY Tutorial for Covering Metal Washers



Whoever discovered using weights instead of pins for layout and cutting was a genius. Though it does not allow the pattern tissue to "stick" with the fabric after cutting, the ease of cutting alone warrants great praise. I have seen pretty weights at fabric stores and have seen tutorials for wrapping with fabric strips or Washi tape. Is there anything you cannot cover with Washi tape? It's the new duct tape. 




I found myself wandering the aisles of Ace Hardware one Winter day admiring the ingenuity of so many varieties of wing nuts and washers and happened upon these large washers and thought, aha! I have found my pattern weights. But the smooth side slides on the tissue and the edges on the perimeter and in the opening are rough and can tear the tissues. This is why they are normally covered. As I wandered down the aisles I came across Plasti-Dip, a liquid plastic that you dip the handles of tools into to get a better no slip grip. Light bulb moment.





They had red and black. It would have been fun to have more colors to play with but this would have to do. I lined a box with newspaper and placed a dowel through the handles.





I dipped the washers into the coating. It was kind of thick and there are directions for thinning it which I may try next time. 




These hang to dry for a couple of hours.





Dip again and allow to dry for about 4 hours and Voila! You have no slip sure grip covered pattern weights. Hmmm. I wonder what else I could dip.



11 comments:

  1. Good idea--and good graphics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks y'all. The no slip feature is it's best attribute.:)) I'm going to hunt down more colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever! (and the finished washers are cute, too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever! (and the finished washers are cute, too)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I know what to do with all the odd washers I've been saving in a tin. Growing up in the country I learned to hoard everything as driving into town for something was a real PITA. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea!! I've got a Craft Gossip post that links to your tutorial here:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-diy-plastic-coated-pattern-weights/2015/03/01/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness! How creative! Headed to the store today! Just what I need! Thanks sew much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a genius!

    ReplyDelete